I just bailed out of a meeting cause I could hardly understand a word. Even when they were talking in english it was so fast with accents it sounded like Hindi. Tho they were also talking in Hindi too,interspersed. Well it wasn't that important that I was in that particular meeting so I figured it was more productive for me to get out of there.
I finally slept last night, good and long. Today I feel rested. I was getting frustrated tho today cause even tho I am in India I have people waiting on me hand and foot and we take cabs everywhere that I don't get to experience the culture. Today I watched very longly while my coworkers walked off into the market streets and I waited here inside for a special meal to arrive for Tom, I, Prakash and Devendra. Indian food yes but I'm in with the higher ups and I wanted to be with the others. Also, I didn't know if it was proper that I just go walking off. I'm wearing a skirt. In Delhi I think it was okay to wear pants but yes here i would stand out more. So I rather fit in tho it is still rather hard with my white skin and blonde hair. So tomorrow I am going to ask my coworkers to take me with them. I'm sure they will oblige. They have been very sweet and kind. It is just understandbly a little awkard on both our sides.
In any case I asked if it was okay and proper if I walked by myself. They said yes in the day but I should have accompaniment at night. So I took a short walk basically around the block and it was great. I can't help but compare everything I see to the Oregon country fair ( as Robin Karlstedt did in an email on her visit) and all the other various hippie events I've attended over the years. It is like the country fair circus is in town, with barter faire style boothes. I mean that in a good way cause of course you know I love both those events. Camels, dogs, oxen and women in beautiful saris and guys in both western clothes and in tunics, everyone buzzing around on bikes, foot or motorcycles. I walked in some shops, then got followed by two boys who kept saying "Hello, hello, and polish, polish....trying to polish my sandals. I was almost to work and one of the guys who works here, not a computer guy, he's like a servant I guess saw them and started yelling at them to get away from me. I wasn't bothered. But see I am getting taken care of, almost like a princess so then I don't get alot of normal experience. I actually thought they were saying Polish, thinking it was my ethnicity until I saw the brush in their hands.
The office is down and alley and up some stairs. Take your shoes off at the doors. It is very nice and up to date. Many different rooms with computers. I'm going to send some photos in my post tomorrow of the area. Internet connections are slow but I'll give it a try.
Wednesday, February 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment