Breaking down outside of Marysville off of I-5, 50 miles from home was not on my holiday wish list. When my charge light went on I immediately pulled off of the road. I was already nursing an ailing radiator with a hole, cap loose without pressure and filling up every so often with water. What I didn't realize was that after many miles, with the cap loose, fluid splashing around the engine it most probably landed on my belt loosening it and stretching it and throwing it off. That's my theory anyways. I had tools but I couldn't really get at the belt to put it back on. I tried.
When I inquired in the Shell station if they knew a mechanic I was told "It's Christmas and it's Sunday." Yeah, I know but I need help. The cashier didn't budge from his chair. "How about a towing company." I asked. "The towing company is written on the sign out there." I walked out to the road to the sign that said: Park here and you will be towed by Such and Such a company. Wrote it down.
Geez people in America can be so helpful when you are stranded aren't they!?! I'm spoiled here on the island. If I break down I can hitchike home, or chances are that someone I know will stop and lend me a hand in some kind of way. Not so in Mainland America.
I'm reminded of the time many years ago when my car died 1/2 block and within site of a gas station with a 3 year old in tow on the mainland. I walked hand in hand with my 3 year old to the gas station and pointed at my dead car and asked if they could come over and give me a jump or help me push it to their station. "Nope, I'd hafta charge you for a tow." Remember I had my three year old with me and they said NO. Well I walked back to my car, a Volkswagen Van, put my 3 year old in her seat and opened the drivers door and started pushing my car up the street by MYSELF. When I got up to the station, the manager who had refused me just stared, while his workers, humanists that they were dropped their tools and pushed me the last few feet. I got my jump and went on my way, however they charged me for the jump.
So back to Christmas eve by the side of I-5. I called the tow company on the sign. Again I was told "It's Christmas." I don't know why everyone had to keep reminding me of that fact. Yes I was quite aware of it, that I potentially faced spending two miserable nights in Marysville, missing two parties in a hotel over Chrismas paying not only the hotel rates, but food and probably car repair and service charges too. " Okay, but I still need help. The man on the phone told me that "They didn't do anything mechanical" like put on a belt, only tow and that it would probably cost me "around $400." Thank you I said and I got off the phone.
I did some quick thinking and then some quick dialing. I called my mother in Arizona and got her AAA membership number. Called back the tow company and said I wanted to use AAA. "We don't do AAA, Dick's towing does." "Okay, can I have that number?" I was standing outside at a phone booth, rain pouring down, drenched with my now 20 year old waiting in the car. "No sorry you are going to have to look that up yourself." "Wow" I said. "Thank you for being so helpful. You have a Merry Christmas." and I hung up the phone.
Called AAA. The woman on the phone apologized for being so slow in figuring out what tow comapny to send. I told her no problem, she was the nicest most helpful person thus far. I just didn't tell her that I wasn't my mom and just gave her the name and number. We got hooked up in a little over an hour.
The tow truck driver was a long haired big bellied Harley Davidson looking guy named "Bama" who was from all places Alabama. He was friendly and we exchanged stories. He gave me a radiator fix tip; "Just put some pepper in your radiator and it will seal those holes. It won't last forever but it's a good temporary fix. It's the same stuff they sell as a radiator fix in stores under a different name." When he unhooked me at the ferry and we settled up the bill, $170 seemed like quite a bargain compared to what the other towing company had quoted me, or the other alternatives.
Wind was blowing hard and steady at the ferry terminal at 5 p.m. Ferries hadn't sailed to Lopez since noon. It seemed we might be spending Christmas eve in the ferry terminal if the next boat didnt sail but at least we were close to home and among friends. We ran into Kelsey, Alia's friend waiting in the ferry terminal after missing several boats who has been living in Italy. Much rejoicing! And I saw my friend Isaac who tried valiantly to help me put the belt back on in the gusty rain to no avail and then offered me his other car that was sitting in the ferry terminal parking lot on the island.
Wow! how nice to run into friends and friends who offer help. The 6:35 did sail. I had enough gumption left in my car, belt still off,to not worry about destroying my engine to drive onto the ferry and off of it, park, and pick up Isaac's car and drive back home. We made our party that night and the next day, had a Christmas on the island and not by the side of the road. I feel very fortunate and also kind of dumb for taking that travel down to Seattle and back with my radiator as it was. Still live and learn and for this Christmas all I want is AAA.
2 comments:
Make sure you get AAA Plus, Bus, there's an unlimited towing area with that one. It's worth it. Oh and, uh, will you program my number into your phone? I would have been happy to have helped you out with my AAA Plus card.
I hope Santa hears your plaintive cry.....
Thanks Cile! I would gladly program your # in my phone if only I could....cell phone went in the washer over a month ago and I have not yet tried the distilled water resurrection yet! Also, yes the AAA Plus seems well worth it. Mom only had the basic, yet it allowed me to get a bit of a discount and much kinder, faster service.
Post a Comment