Friday, April 20, 2007

Rosie gets Caught


I honestly do not set out to torture or hurt my cats, especially poor sweet Rosie who is constantly harassed by the big bad Jack Attack Cat who stalks her and chases her daily all to blood curdling yowls. She does not need any more grief in her life believe me. I know I gave her a ride in the dryer once, but that was a total accident caused by my multitasking & excitement as I got ready to listen to some hilarious nutcases on a new radio station I had just discovered.

I learned my lesson. Check the dryer for cats before you close the door and push on. Rosie recovered from that incident and though she was a little shaken up there was a positive spin from this unexpected tumble, as Rosie became a famous Internet star and has made a lot of people laugh and laughing is a very good thing indeed! This last incident is not my fault. It's not even Rosie's fault. If there's any fault to be had it's the fault of genetics. But I really hate to call genetics a fault as we are what we are and Rosie happens to be a beautiful six toed calico cat with a very short tail. Truly unique. Rare in three different ways. And sweet as can be.

Last Sunday I was out in my yard. Beautiful day. Laying out in the lush green grass on my side head perched in one hand, phone to my ear in the other hand. Talking to my good friend Bob about music and life and my what a beautiful day to lay in the grass! Rosie was enjoying the sunshine as well, doing that thing that cats do when they are enjoying the day. Squinting her eyes in a cat smile, smelling the air, padding on her little feet through the grass, sniffing the ground, smelling the air some more.

Soon Rosie padded on over to me to give me a little love, rubbing her calico body against mine in a furry drive bye rub. Ohhh how nice, thank you Rosie! I feel her furry body warmth against mine and then I feel her start to peel off..... I'm still yakking on the phone, laying propped up on my side. Rosie starts to peel off BUT.... Wait! She bungees back to me and starts screaming LOUDLY in those blood curdling yowls! I don't know exactly what is happening but WAIT...she appears to be caught in the zipper of my shirt and is stuck to me! I'm in this awkward position with the phone to my ear and I try to shake her from my zipper but can't. She is SCREAMING loudly! I have a cat stuck to my chest! My shirt has a zipper that is zipped up about halfway up my chest and by some miracle we're both in such an awkward surprised position that thankfully the claws are not flying. Bob is getting an earful. BOB HOLD ON!!! I try to shake her loose but she's not coming loose. I reach further into my shirt and realize it's not just her little tail that is caught in my zipper. I mean not just the big part of her little tail but the real bony part of her tail that if you feel around in her tail there is this little teeny hook at the end that is like the eyehook on a latch but much much smaller and she is really really hooked on my zipper! I reach in and work and unlatch her tail from my zipper and thank god we are both FREE. Whew! She scampers off.

I tell Bob what happened and he chuckles "My you have a dramatic life!" Yes, I guess so. And somehow things like this always seem to happen to me. Well it makes a great story!

No comments: