Saturday, May 26, 2007

A few things learned while traveling

I act like a Japanese tourist. Poor daughter. She has to put up with me. Today she told me I was acting like a Japanese tourist. Why? Because I was stopping every two feet to take a photo of a door, or a building or a colorful person. Just like a Japanese tourist she said. Actually, it sort of infuriated me because I´m in a new country and I´m just getting my camera legs on. It´s a BIG deal for me to be photographing these doors and these buildings at all. Long ago I used to be a photographer. In fact I have a degree in it. But it´s been absolutely years since I´ve been actively photographing. So for assignment Bolivia, I made myself buy a new camera and get into the digital world properly and so I must photograph, photograph, photograph. Yes, doors, buildings and colorful people. Just like a Japanese tourist. My daughter apologized to me.

My Spanish Sucks. My daughter has a good command of the langauge and I have been relying on her as my interpreter. I have become mute when someone asks me a question. I can´t even get out the word QUE? I just turn to my interpreter and she talks for me. My daughter has told me however I am doing fine. That listening is good. But listening and not comprehending much and not talking really sucks. I feel really really crippled. I´m thinking this next week I might stay around Cochabamba and enroll in a langauge school and try to learn some more. My few hours tutoring on Lopez helped, but seems to have been erased on a 17 hour plane ride.

I am not being safe. I just about waved my wallet and said take it while in the cab and stopped at a light, until I was yelled at by my daughter. MOM! I was just putting in 50 Bolivinos in my wallet, no big deal...I did not realize that someone might swarm past the open window and grab it, apparently a common practice here in the streets of Cochabamba. I am so much more the wiser now. Thank you Alia.

1 comment:

cile said...

Fantastic entries, Sue! Thank you for letting us join you on your journey. Take those pictures! YEAH! You made it to your daughter for Mother's Day. That is just PERFECTION!