Monday, June 04, 2007

A Few More Festival Photos & Some info

Fiesta del Gran Poder, La Paz Bolivia
All Photos by Sue DuMond







Here´s a few more photos of last weekends Fiesta in La Paz. I have gobs of them. Wish I had remembered to take the portable audio recorder I brought with me. The continuous sound of singing, chanting, brass bands and clanking of the men´s spurs was complete sound euphoria!

Correction: My daughter told me that the biggest festival in Bolivia is Carnaval in Oruro, held in late Feb. or early March.

Here´s some info: Carnaval de Oruro

Elaboration: Here´s some further elaboration on the statue Los Heriones & Feliz Dia Mamita from Wikipedia:

On May 27th, 1812 during the Colonial Revolution, Cochabamba's women, children, and elderly residents, led by the 60-year-old nearly-blind Josefa Manuela Gandarillas, waged a heroic defense of Cochabamba against Spanish Royalist troops seeking to quell the revolution. The defenders were massacred, but their patriotism was commemorated on 8 November 1927 when May 27 was formally established as Mother's Day in Bolivia.


No comments: