Sunday, January 23, 2005

continuing.............

I only have a moment but... we're in the town of Bath. Yesterday after leaving Liverpool we veered towards Cardiff in Wales. South Wales. It's the biggest city and billed as a fresh youthful vibrant Capitol. Ohh my, very vibrant... we were'nt prepared. Besides an earlier football match there was a massive Tsunami benefit concert going on there. As soon as you get off the train there is Millenium stadium. Alia and I had no idea about the concert etc... only that in the town b4 Cardiff after riding in a nearly empty train, tons of people got on....
We got off in Cardiff and it was pouring. As we walked in the drips we wandered past the stadium and could hear the sound of some music. I said 'That sounds like U2 playing.' Tho I didn't think that really was possible. We walked past the stadium and started knocking on the doors of B&B's. By then we were drowned rats. No room. We found the backpackers hostel, again no room. We were really miserably soaked by then. Alia especially. Her shoes had holes in them and her feet were completely soaked. Okay let me say that Alia and I have now made a rule before we travel together... she must have proper and practical clothing. (Okay Alia just corrected me and told me to say: You made the rule Mom) The other day when we went on the walking tour I failed to mention that Alia in all her complete but impractical fashion sense had not only dressed rather scantily under her coat that had two buttons, but had no socks on her feet that were in high heels and had left with wet hair. This was her mode of dress for a windy London day where we were embarking on a walking tour for two hours. (She jsut mentioned that she wasn't cold in earl's court when we left). Also, I must mention that I also did not know that she was as scantily dressed as she was until she became completely shivery on the walk.
Okay getting back on track here, yes we were walking and wet and soaked and Alia had holes in her shoes and we couldn't find a room anywhere, it was dark, windy and we were back by the stadium.... some guys asked us if we wanted programs for the concert and I said who's playing: Eric Clapton, U2, the Stereophonics and a bunch of other bands.... !!!!! Crazy. I really would have liked to enjoy all that but we were WET and there was not a room to be had in town. There were 61,000 people that came from all over Britain for the concert, it was apparently sold out in 3 days.
So after some coffee and chow...very good. We headed back to the train. Thot maybe we'd go to Bristol, but then we ended up in Bath. Still completely soaked. Pouring rain out. Knocking on doors. no room. Felt very medival: 'Please sir do you have a room.' We found a B&B with room, pricey but we needed to flop and to dry. So we're spending two nights here at great expense. ohh well. Last night tho I hafta say it was great. There was a very good bar in there and I had my best british beer yet:Boothingtons and Alia had cider. I also found, finally a newspaper in Britain that actually had factual news in it rather than something that is supposed to be a paper but really is a celebrity tabloid interspersed with real news.
Okay I'm ending this entry and starting another one called: Alia's shoes.

No comments: