Monday, February 14, 2005

the sickness

I spent the last couple of days in Jaipur. After the train ride from Bikaner I started to feel sick, intestinally sick. I realized it was probably from the water. Before we boarded the train we asked Ashook our guide to get us more bottled water. I was in such a rush to get on the train, I didn't think to check the seal. Soon the bottle was leaking in my bag. Again I didn't think about it. In the middle of the night I took a few swigs and shortly thereafter I felt ill. That was early saturday morning.
In India you must always always drink bottled water and make sure it is sealed. There is a 'black market' I guess you would call it, on people refilling bottles with tap water and selling them. I mentioned this to Tom. He had another bottle of this water we got at the train station. No plastic around the seal but he opened it and the white cap and retainer seemed in order so he went ahead and drank it. By saturday afternoon he too was feeling sick. By saturday night I was starting to really feel sick, plus I was fully worn out and I admit, I was a little short with Tom on some of our work matters. What can I tell you? He's my boss. He's been great to me. Traveling with anyone would be stressful, but traveling with your boss, and your boss who is far different people than you would really get to you. So some things were getting on my nerves. Not important to mention. Also as I mentioned I was completely wrung out. Still hadn't recovered from that marathon night of music. So I was a mess. Tom was a mess as well. We were both fully fried. I declined dinner with the Parakh's that night in favor of the hotel. So glad I went back there. It was a fancy western style hotel that looked over the city of Jaipur, complete with bell-hops etc. Fancier than anything I usually stay in, and of course still cost next to nothing.
A real bath, a clean bath. I took a big soak. Ordered comfort food....a pizza for like 50 ruppees, a dollar that is and a coke, some mushroom soup. Watched Indian TV and bundled myself up cause I had full fever and chills by then. Restless sweatly night with stomach hurting. Finally did some ibprofen and some charcoal and a digestive enzyme. By sunday morning I was pretty good. I've had some residual stomach and other grief. Not as bad tho as it could have been. Which reminds me I must take a Malaria pill soon.Hard to keep track of the days now that I've done all these time changes.

No comments: