
Last Monday I took my daughter to the red-eye ferry so she could make her connection and catch a train south to Oregon. My daughter has been living back here on the island for close to three months since she was unexpectedly and unceremoniously deported from the U.K. in early Sept.
I got used to her presence, her camaraderie, her cosmetics, her shoes, and even listening to the sound of the wretched TV shows she likes to watch all of the time. Sorry but I'm not a big fan of Extreme Makeover (actually I think the particular show she watches is called something else) especially when my daughter tries very hard to convince me that it would be a good thing for me. That I would get $5000 to spend on a whole new stylish wardrobe while meanwhile the show hosts ridicule my practical attire for my rural lifestyle as 'unflattering.' No thanks. I'm not interested.
While she was here I even helped her massage the blonde hair dye poison into her scalp so she could remain the bleached blonde she has chosen to be. God only knows if I will ever see her beautiful natural golden brown hair that she was born with, ever again in this lifetime. Yes, I am the natural blonde in this family not her.
Seriously though, I am grateful that my daughter and I are friends. That we are able to share conversation, a sense of humour, and a love of music and adventure. I feel good when friends tell me I've done a good job and what an awesome young woman she has turned out to be. We have our moments and tempers and irritation flare but basically we get along pretty well.
My daughter she comes and she goes, and until the next time I see her, things are quiet, just me and the cats, as I am an empty nester again.
1 comment:
Beautifully written. I see where she gets her writing talent from. Blonde or not.
Post a Comment