How many women does it take to make a good beer? TWO GALS! That's right Two Gals I.P.A. won first place in our annual island Brewfest! Twenty two entries and we came in first! Here is Liz and I mugging for the paparazzi with our beer yards made especially by local glass blower Lark Dalton. There is a first place handblown glass mug in Liz's hands but she is clutching it very tightly as you can see and I still have yet to lay a hand on it. (This is a true fact but am also just kidding ya Lizzy)
I want to give thanks to my daughter Alia because she helped as well with the racking and bottling while Liz was off in Rhode Island. Alia and I had a huge fight during the bottling ( bottling is stressful. Anyone who brews will tell you that.) but we both journeyed thru it and got our system down and came out smiling as proved by this photo of Alia after bottling the Toasted Coconut Porter we bottled a few days later. So I officially want to rename our winning entry: Three Gals I.P.A. The Toasted Coconut Porter came in as an honorable mention 4th place. Woohoo!
5 comments:
Yum! Any bottles available for Wheatheads?
I won't ask why all that beer is on the floor. But I can't help but wonder.
Congrats - really cool thing you've got going there. We should do it here in Talkeetna instead of the bachelor ball. I'd rather drink homebrew.
Congratulations! That's very impressive (first out of 22!)--and intriguing (coconut, you say? ;-D) We always fight during bottling too. Max the dog really likes it that beer gets spilled on the floor in the process...
Anna: I wish there were extra bottles available for myself let alone other wheatheads! It was popular and went quick. Alas! 12 bottles is an entry and we only had a few left from our batch. I have one saved that I will savor at some point. Check in with Hoonah, he's been working hard on the supply for Wheatstalk 2007. Cheers!
Jim: Bottling is a messy proposition. It's hard to not get it on the floor! Too bad I don't have Cate's dog to lick it up. My cats could care less! Yup, it is a really grand event. We suffered thru some years of bad brew but these guys really got it down and do it up right! It's not too late to start the tradition up your way and again, I highly recommend consulting with Hoonah!
Cate: I got the recipe from a Wheathead! Fumutu99. The Toasted Coconut Porter came highly recommended from LuAnna.Yes bottling is stressfull. More on the floor means less for me! And that makes me very very crabby!
Congrats from me as well... though I have never tried IPA.
Post a Comment