Saturday, February 10, 2007

Car Talk

Click and Clack are not available so I am asking you my readers to help me with a car problem I am having.

The basis of the problem is this: after having my radiator flushed, my car lost fluid twice. The first time took a couple weeks. Then the second within a couple of days. I could not see an obvious leak.

I took it back to the Oil Change flusher service place. You know the kind. The kind with the pimply boys who are in high school and maybe a few pretty girls. Luckily the manager was there and he was over 21. He put my radiator under pressure and said it was losing pressure and that I probably had a radiator leak. Advised me to keep the cap uncocked to take the pressure off and keep tabs on it, filling as necessary.

I was down with that. I had to get to Seattle and pick up my daughter from the Greyhound. On the way back, the belt flew off and of course I figured it was due to all the liquid splashing around. I ended up getting a tow to the ferry because even with tools and trying my best, I just could not put on that belt. And it was Xmas eve and there were no mechanics around to help me.

Anyways, back on island my mechanic checked it out. He said you do not have a leak. Also, that the alternator was just about falling off which is why the belt flew off. Tells me to take it back and drive it around. I did.

Well next thing was coincidental. The starter crapped out. Had my friends tow me out the driveway and down the road and pop start. Got new contacts and I'm driving around. Starts and works fine.

Week later fluid down again. Cracked head my mechanic wondered? New engine just 3 years ago. We opt for the cheap fix, sealant. I drive around.

Meanwhile I decide I can't depend on that car, especially if it indeed has a cracked head. My mechanic says it will probably be torn apart and out for about a month. I have another truck but it's not mainland worthy either. I'm going crazy. I have not been off the island since Dec. 24th.

So an offer of buying a Volvo 640 comes in. Long story on that. Basically I'm buying back a friends car. But I drive it around and say yup. $700, mainland worthy I can resell it later. I give him some money but don't take the car yet.

I hop into the 4runner and because I guess I've taken the pressure off the 4 runner, immediately the temperature gauge starts climbing. I get to town. Wait awhile and sure enough no fluid. I fill it up and drive directly to my mechanic.

He is perplexed. We run it. No white smoke. Where is that water going he wonders? Runs fine, sounds fine otherwise. No desirnable leaks. Maybe the head gasket and not a cracked head. I am driving it again now and trying to pay attention to what it is doing. It seems to like to take it in one big gulp when it feels like it.

Any ideas? One friend suggests maybe the heater core. But my floors are not wet. I guess we won't know until we tear it apart. Tomorrow I pick up the Volvo.

2 comments:

NT said...

I'm no mechanic. I keep wondering about steam. It's gotta be there doesn't it? Once the water is hot, no matter where it's escaping, there's gonna be steam. Isn't there? Unless it's coming out the tailpipe cuz of cracked head or something and just looks like exhaust - I dunno.

Wait - I got it. You're filling it with disappearing ink aren't you?

Sue DuMond said...

There is no steam. That is what is freaking wierd. And I don't see it out of the exhaust. Well I am picking up the 'band-aid' car tomorrow. So now I have a new/old ride while the 4runner can get operated on.