It is beautifully frosty this morning and before starting on some work that needed to be done I went on a walk. The last few days have been rather crazy and I desperately needed the outdoors and some air.
I have a regular loop route that I go down. Down to the beach and dock on MacKaye harbor. I sat on a big rock and listened to the stillness of the air while watching some ducks glide silently across the water.
Suddenly...a dog bark! I suppose for most that would not normally startle a person but for me my insides cringed in an icy grip of fear. I could not see the dog and it's bark was more a warning bark. Definitely not friendly.
Almost 3 years ago I got attacked by a dog while riding my bike on my other regular route to another beach. It was an unprovoked attack and the dog was on me and sunk it's teeth into my leg and tore me off my bike before I could react. I had a very deep puncture wound in my leg that took months and months to heal up. Three years later I still have bouts of pain in what I now refer to as my 'dog leg.'
One of my biggest fears is what happened this morning. That I would get attacked again. That I would be alone, like this morning without anyone to cry to for help. That somehow I am radiating some sort of smell of fear from this past attack, that a dog will sense and one will finish up the deed.
I can't help it. I jumped and I went back the way I came never even seeing the dog, caught in an icy grip of fear.
Friday, February 02, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I used to have to walk down my road with a long 2x4 to fight off the pack of dogs. It took a lot out of me. On a bike I would carry pepper spray. Nothing is more fearful than being attacked by an animal.
People should be more responsible for their dogs.
I know I really should get something like pepper spray. Really freaks me out. There are too many people not responsible with their dogs. These particular folks were "part time" islanders... we're in the country. Ohhh boy let's let the dog loose.....
Post a Comment