The oppurtunity arose to buy what I am calling the 'bandaid car.' A vehicle that will get me through the continued sleuthing of this problem, that is 'mainland worthy,' ( for those not living on an island, this is a car that can actually work and run in places other than an island) and whose price was so right I could hardly go wrong (as in I could probably immediatly turn around and sell it for the same price or probably more), and a car that I knew the history of.
The history of this car has a funny story. A story that one will especially appreciate if you live in a small town or in my case a small island. Something that a friend termed: Vehicular Incest.
Basically the story goes like this. I have a friend SJ who had a partner. Partner and SJ break up. It's very messy. All titles to cars are in the partners name. Partner takes the expensive new hybrid vehicle that they each paid equal halves on. Leaves 3 other vehicles that are also in partners name at SJ's that partner apparently finds less than desirable, and beneath her. Keeps titles. Won't give them or transfer them, won't communicate with SJ. SJ finally gets fed up and hauls them over under the light of the moon to ex partners place in the middle of the night and leaves them there. C'est la vie. SJ buys new car.
Two weeks later an ad goes up. Enter me. I see ad. I know these cars. They are SJ's. Two are Volvos. I have a friend on another island who is a Volvo guy. I always turn him onto cars if I see something he might like for parts or to fix up. I tell him the story of SJ and the ex partner. These might be a good deal for you I say. He comes over and the ex partner gives Volvo guy the cars.
Several weeks go bye. Volvo guy writes me an email. "I fixed up one of the Volvos, I know you are having car problems, and you have been really good at keeping your eye out for me and I appreciate it. I'm selling it for __________, but will sell it to you for ______."
I jump on it. Go over to other island and pick up the 'band aid car.' As soon as I get on my island, I drive it over immediately to SJ's house and we have a good laugh at life on a small island, while admiring my new ride.
No comments:
Post a Comment