Thursday, January 20, 2005

12 Bar Cafe

Forgot this entry...have done so many things have'nt included it all. Buster and I went out to the 12 Bar Cafe the other night in the Soho district. I had spotted this live music place down a street of music shops earlier that day. It's funny how things here are all concentrated in one area i.e. about 8 little music stores on one little street called Denmark, all with guitars etc..
Anyhews, we went out for an adventure. Paid 5£ to get in. Small front to the place, figured it was probably a big club in back...nope, just this teeny weeny bar and I mean small with about 6 folks smoking and drinking. Went into the stage area. About 20 seats scrunched in against about an 8 x 10 stage with drums, guitars the works all shoved in.
The music started we went upstairs to the balcony. Again so small...great big beam running across the room and then I saw the stage was against an old forge with a sign labeled 1645. Wow! Buster and I remarked how this would never fly in the U.S., all those freaking codes etc....but here we werein this very small funky historical venue transformed into a music venue. The first band started and Buster and I got great big smiles. They were kinda psychedelic pop rock grunge London style. One gal in the band, a frail skinny long haired redhead shaking this tamborine that was only about the size of her palm and occasionaly throwing in a lyric or two.
What is it with boy bands and the one lone girl? What do they say: stand there and shake the tamborine, your just adding to our look!?!
Okay they were great....they were a blast. There name was; Screaming Roswell. After that there was a lone singer songwriter from New York. He had some talent but after 3 songs about the actress girlfriend who jilted him we decided he could sing those to someone else, not us.
Enjoyable night....look for Screaming Roswell in the future.
Okay last entry before we head to Liverpool tomorrow to see my second cousin Roger who's in his 80's. This ought to be interesting.......he seems both excited and put off by the notion we're visiting. I'm not sure really which. Definitely nice tho. After that we're vague on our travel. 4 day train pass...maybe to York then way the hell back down to Cardiff or Bath, or there first...dunno know. Ohh but on the way to Liverpool tomorrow we're going to stop in Nottingham to pay homage to Robin Hood.
later.......

No comments: