Saturday, January 15, 2005

Portobello Market

Hi again...Last night had my first proper beer in an English Pub called; Punch and Judy's. It was in Convent Square and we stood and drank overlooking the square in the dark and the high rooftops of the surrounding buildings. Somehow I feel as if in a movie...such old and beautiful architecture and winding, winding streets. Some buskers about with the night, playing top 40 american songs on guitar with microphones.
Alia got to come out on our little jaunt. The hotel she works for is run by an irish family: The Dooleys. Their 3 children who are my age run it and Anthony let Alia go for a couple hours from her shift as they were having a slow night. She works 4- midnight and today worked 8-4. The Dooleys are a friendly lot and seem to be truely loving and appreciative of Alia.
Today 'Buster' was up and out the door even before I woke to meet her friend Lanka and go to the glass symposium. Probably won't see her til late tonight.
On my own I went to Portobello Market via the tube. It was a huge street market. When I first arrived I went off to my left and didn't see anything special, just the usual knock offs of designer clothes and Clash t shirts done to death. But to my right was where the good stuff was...stalls and stalls of antiques, silver, pewter, prints etc... For some reason I was looking at this guys photographs and he gave me a free print B&W of a zepplin from 1910 from his free bin. So with all than antiquity that's what I ended up with. I walked and walked thru the neighborhoods thru all the row houses.
The dinner with Alia's boyfriend awaits my next installment.

No comments: