Sesven hour train ride leads us to Jaipur where the other office is and the full-time home of Tom's work partner and his wife. Today Rachna is going to take us shopping in the markets after we have a few more work meetings. I'm psyched because now I'm going to get some goods and Rachna I've been told is a shrewd bargainner.
Yesterday was an interesting day. The nights before music had me getting late to the office. I walked, it's not far but I arrived at 11 a.m. Most of the employees were there and they were concerned what had become of me as noone had checked on me in the morning. All these guys are watching out for me, their so darn sweet. Yes I wouldn't want to walk the streets of Bikaner alone at night, daytime is fine. I've had absolutely no problems tho in the afternoon I wasn't paying quite enough attention and almost got run over by a bike, my surprise had me toppling over a scooter next to me. You really do have to watch out here. I'm telling you this is like no other traffic I've ever seen.
So after a spirited web marketing meeting with 4 of my coworkers I went out walking again. I found a shop right near the office and was ushered in. The merchants pulled everything off the shelves, like they do here, to show me and I was making some purchases. I was a little late getting back to the office and soon 2 of the 'errand boys'(I don't know what else to call them) from the office appeared to fetch me. See everyone is looking out for me. I was late and they became alarmed. Well also a bunch of us were going to go to the old palace.
Anyways,the group of us didn't go to the palace but by mid afternoon I was getting anxious to explore. Raju said he would take me to the palace. He's one of my coworkers. I thought great, it will be a nice walk. But when I went downstairs he had the motorcycle revving. So I Sue, just like the Indian woman do here who I marveled at, climbed aboard with skirt, legs hanging off the side riding thru the back alleys with ruts and small passageways with cows,dogs kids etc... off to the palace on the motorcycle. I did hang on on the back bar. I see it's built with that in mind. A place to rest my feet and a back handle. I do not see the Indian women hang onto the man's waist but I did a little.
Palace closed but we visited the museum. Raju was a great guide. Very funny jokes etc. I'll say again I love my coworkers. The indian people are so warm and friendly.Later that night before we had dinner there was a knock at my hotel room and there was all the Bikaner staff. They had brought me gifts of Rajasthan, a beautiful wool shawl that I think is too good for me to wear.....far too beautiful and a wall hanging that presents a bit of a packing problem. Both items all wool, which they told me Rajasthan is famous for producing.
Dinner at the Parakhs. Fabuolous indian food. On the way there slowed down by several wedding processions in the streets. It is an auspcious weekend for weddings. Don't know why but it is.
Coworkers again at the trains station to wave goodbye. Again so sweet. I had a bunk in a sleeper with an Indian woman who teaches gynecological (sp?) health to village women, her small son and her nanny.
Anyways, I'm here in Jaipur. Probably my last entry. Home on the plane tomorrow evening.
Friday, February 11, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment