Saturday, July 02, 2005

Island Rescue

I've been gone for 8 days. Two conferences in two different cities. Was supposed to be back on Thursday but a flight delay,had us and the whole plane missing their connections, stranding us in Las Vegas city of extremes overnight. My coworker and I managed to make it somewhat fun, for a couple hours prowling a part of the strip. Still I would have much rather been home, sticking my barefeet in the dewey grass. Much to my horror, I found myself in Las Vegas twice this year.Something I hope will not repeat itself, anytime soon.

We managed to get out on another airline yesterday, on a very busy holiday weekend via Salt Lake City. Picking up my car, putting on my sneakers and my hoodie, and listening to Jerry as we shot down I-5 instantly made me feel more in control of my life once again.

We both feared that the ferry line would be jammed being that it was a Friday afternoon holiday weekend, and that we'd have to sit thru a couple sailings. Fortunately that was not so. 3:30 and we made the 5 p.m. without a problem.


In Philadelphia we found a great diner inside a convience store. Padded boothes, a Russian waitress named Eva,fistsized sandwiches & plates covered with gravy. Stick to ya food but no vegetables. I was so hungry for greens I drove directly to the market and loaded up on salad fixings and supplies to get me thru the weekend without having to return to the village. The store was filled with tourists, lots of them, buying paper plates and hotdogs. Driving down fisherman bay, boats out on the hook and cars along the road. Fourth of July here.

I was home for about two seconds, and talking to a friend on the phone when I heard a large boom. Soon sirens were wailing and they didn't stop. It sounded like our whole volunteer fire department and EMT's were responding. We heard the whap-whap of helicopters going back and forth. This was no small aid call.

The helicopter was clearly circling and searching. Tho I was completely whipped, I hopped on my bike and rode down to the water. I was tired but my curiosity and concern awakened me. There's not a time a siren goes off here without your thoughts turning to the possibility that the casualty might be a neighbor or a friend. I've been on both sides of it, transported in an aid car, and watching as they lifted my partner off, as well as knowing numerous injured and dying folks airlifted to the mainland for treatment.

I joined a young couple I knew on the dock while a small chop rocked us on the water and grey clouds hung across the bay. They told me a small plane was down but the helicopter didn't seem to have it pinpointed yet. It made sweeps across the water, then stopped and hovered near a point in the distance.

It was surreal to be on the water so shortly after returning from an 8 day adventure and many plane rides. To take the whole beautiful bay in my view and feel the sea air on my face. Home and gazing upon an unfolding tragedy.

Others joined us, one a friend with binoculars. It was hard to make sense of what was going on. There was no sight of a plane, but we could see the helicopter holding position over a point in the water. Soon a Coast guard cutter arrived and then a hydroplane. The helicoper landed on a rocky bluff, and our EMT's and firefighters were shown as little specks leading down to the water.

We surmised they were pulling people out but we really couldn't tell. It wasn't til I got home and turned on the news that I got the full story. Five people on board, heading to Friday harbor. A family from Oregon. Both parents killed and the three children surviving. The 17 year old made it to shore and scrambled up the bluff and called for help at the nearest home.

What a horrible horrible tragedy. Truly my heart goes out to those folks lost in the bay and their children left behind.

No comments: