Sunday, October 02, 2005

The deer did us a favor

I'm not much of a gardener. I've had a few measly attempts that struggled with my lack of attention over the years. I managed to get food out of them and flowers bloomed but they weren't very prolific. Very unisland like, as I am around some very dedicated growers. I'm great with a chainsaw, weedeater, lawnmower, and pruners. Anything that involves whacking and hacking. Have hired myself out that way. But I'm not much of a gardener.
When I bought this place I planted 4 trees. Two apple and two plums. Despite some struggles mainly munchings from hungry deer who loved to amputate new shoots and fruit, and my minimal attention, they have thrived. Last year I worked very hard to build a fence to curtail those munchings and was successful, that is up until a few days ago.
I should have known better. The two bucks who have been carousing the yard day after day for weeks, were not there to show me how cute they were. They were casing the place. Waiting for the exact moment when the fruit reached it's peak of sweetness and my back was turned.
The other morning they struck. Net down and all the lower branches stripped clean of fruit. I haven't seen them since. Cowards! I guess they know how I feel. How completely disappointing it was to find my one and only harvest pillaged. How completely outraged I was that I had been fooled into thinking that my fence was inpentrable.
I asked my daughter to go out and pick what was left of one of the trees. The upper branches were still laden with fruit. Those deer were fortunately too lazy to grab the ladder leaning up against the house. She came in with a full paper bag of apples. "Mom the deer have done us a favor!" She was pretty impressed that one of our young trees had yeilded us a full bushel, just from the upper branches. Didn't think we could have handled anymore. I'd rather they not do us any more favors. And so I am working on that fence again.

No comments: