Sunday, November 18, 2007

Splat....!!!!


Went to Seattle with my concert going buddy. Due to our both working jobs we missed the opening act but rolled into town prrrfectly, just in time for the opening notes of the band we wanted to catch, Government Mule. I had slacked and gotten tix late and so we were row ZZZZZZ.... but what I love about the Moore Theatre is that if you are on the main floor they have standing room up front and everyone in the front rows and security are chill about the folks that like to abandon their seats and congregate there, myself being one of them. So we never saw row Z the whole night, instead basking in the green purple glowlight at the feet of my guitar god Warren Haynes.

Show was great! Warren is such an incredible player. Hard rocking slide work mixed with his frentic soul filled finger picking and passionate voice. He does this thing where he will be playing hard and then he'll flip a guitar pick to the crowd when he needs only his fingers to play and keeps rolling out the notes without stopping to pause. His mic stand always has picks lined up so he can grab another one. Within the first few notes of his opening song he flipped one right our way and my friend caught it. Our timing was perfect! All that driving to end up right there within seconds of our landing, for the prrrfect catch.

After the show we went up to Capitol Hill for late night eating & beer drinking and people watching. There was such a scene up there and being the country bumpkins we are, we were heavy into the people watching. So much so I was walking & watching this fight about to erupt across the street and was so engrossed I walked smack headfirst into a light pole! I have a little lump on my forehead. Ouch! We got in the car and made for my daughter's apartment and were just about in front of her door carrying all our gear, when I trip and land splat in a face plant on the sidewalk!

Yes, that's right. I smashed my face twice! And No!!! It wasn't the beer though I had a lovely Belgian Leffe Blonde Ale earlier.The side of my head still hurts but it could of been worse!!! I broke some items in my shoulder bag from the fall; totally smashing the hard-case my sunglasses were in but fortunately it protected them and my $300 prescription shades were spared. I had been carrying a bag full of plastic bottle glitter paints which was my daughters one request when I asked if she needed me to bring anything from home. I ended up smashing a few bottles in the fall so I guess she'll be minus a few colors when she finishes her art project. But OY! and OUCH!

Despite the bumps and bruises it was a great night out. I don't know why I needed those hard knocks on the noggin after such a good rock n' roll show, but there ya go, my big night on the town and on the ground.

No comments: