Fourth place for my homebrew this year! It was an Oatmeal Stout that I named: Ohhhtay! If you ever watched the Little Rascals, Buckwheat was infamous for saying Ohhhtay! meaning Okay! I feel pretty pleased about being in the top 5 beers again for two years in a row (1st last year) in a field of about thirty entries. Especially because I tasted it a couple of weeks back and thought it was terrible. I am my own worst critic. Mostly I was comparing it to a prior batch of Oatmeal Stout, that was a bit smoother in taste and less heady. Super delicious! That would have definitely been a first! I kind of rushed this batch, and bottled a bit soon so it was a little active in the bottles leading to an extra head. It also tasted a bit more sharp and hoppy. But I put it outside in the cold chill and it mellowed the flavor right up and slowed it down a bit. It just goes to show you that there are many variables involved in brewing. You can use the same ingredients but unless the situation is absolutely controlled it's going to taste different.
This year first place went to another woman brewer and the only other bottled beer (other brewers opt for corny kegs.) Women win 1st place two years in a row....wooohoooo!!!!
The big highlight of the evening was that I walked down to the road to put something in my car only to find it missing! I walked up and down the road and no car. This was right before the judging and so I made a big announcement to the crowd. I was pretty bummed about having a stolen car. What if someone smashed my car and I was liable for the damage? What if it was totaled? I've been having major car problems and a bit challenging financial world, and here's another thing to throw into the pile. I went home early, intending to call and report it in the morning, crying myself to sleep (really) and hoping for the best. Around midnight the cops called me telling me they found my car, and "that they heard it through the grapevine" that it was stolen and could I pick it up now!?! Long complicated story, but it wasn't far from my house and there was no damage done to my rig. Thank goodness! I'm guessing someone on foot just needed a lift down the island. It's very commonplace here on the island to leave keys in one's car. In 23 years on the island I've never had a problem. It's one of the great things about living in a small town. Relative safety and trust. But I guess I need to think twice about leaving my keys in my car now, huh? But just like the cops hearing it "through the grapevine," that my car was stolen, I don't doubt I'll find out who took it eventually. It's a small town and people talk here. People talking here can be a major annoyance (and one we all participate in) but can be real handy, when one needs it....
No comments:
Post a Comment